Friday, June 22, 2007

Farewell Bits of Ignorance

I finished Killer Angels today. It took me a bit longer to read than I thought it might, but I thoroughly enjoyed my study of the Battle of Gettysburg and, more particularly, the men who fought there. About twenty pages into the book, I realized that I don't really know much. . . about anything. I mean, generally speaking, I'm not a complete idiot. I have a good education and a decent head on my shoulders. I don't want to brag, but I was in GT as a child and finished in the top 10 of my high school graduating class. The fact of the matter is that I have been to Gettysburg. I have taken several classes in U.S. History. I love my country, but I didn't really know anything about Gettysburg before reading this book. Sad, I know. I suppose that's the great thing about reading. It rids you of bits of ignorance. Please note the word BIT--as I am not claiming to be an expert on the subject of the Battle of Gettysburg. In fact, if anyone needs help with a school project or report on the subject, I'm NOT the person to turn to. . .unless you need someone to recite the first few lines of the Gettysburg Address. Amazingly--that I can do.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin