Wednesday, January 25, 2006

I have yet to meet a man that deserves to be as happy as I can make him!


I saw a woman this afternoon sitting in the lobby of the WSC putting lipstick on. Just minutes later, she greeted her husband with a kiss and they were on their way. It reminded me of something a little bit silly, but I think poignant. When I was living at home, I could always tell that it was nearing 5pm because my mom would stand in front of the mirror and put on her lipstick. Maybe I was one of those completely oblivious youth who had such a narrow self-centered perspective that I never stopped to understand why my mom was putting on lipstick. Now I realize that she wanted to look "put together" to greet dad each evening. It didn't matter that some days the bed was made just before the lipstick came on or that we'd been working on a playdough diagram of the human cell. Maybe she had been running from scouts to dance all afternoon amongst cooking dinner, doing laundry, and keeping her church calling in order. Regardless of life's craziness, she took the time to be sure we were all taken care of. . .especially dad. A few weeks ago, Lori was telling me about a quote that hung on her apartment wall when she lived at Carriage Cove. It came up again today in our conversation and both of us agreed that it would make a great topic for a blog commentary. It goes something like this-- "I have yet to meet a man that deserves to be as happy as I can make him." Ain't that the truth! My husband is going to be the luckiest guy on the planet. . .though I generally prefer lip gloss to lipstick. To each his own. Love you mom and dad. Have fun mixing and mingling in Boise.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How sweet! If I ever wore lipstick Papa Bear would think I had been to the Circus! How about Chapstick!
It does make you realize that it's all the daily little things that make a difference not just a few big things. Keep inspiring us little missey!

Anonymous said...

I can't see to write - a little teary. I will have to think and write this out.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin