Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Dewey Decimal System


Remember the good old days, before the internet, when you depended on the library as your source for outside knowledge? I remember evenings at the Blackfoot Lucy Boyle Public Library working on projects for school or prepping for debate tournaments (I was a debate geek, okay. . .what of it? Kimmy was in the marching band for a year). Well, I hate to be the one to break the news to everyone, but those days are OVER. I came to this realization today when I stopped into the old Harold B. Lee Library for a few minutes. The wooden drawers with hand-typed manilla cards have been replaced by flat screened computer monitors and a massive database that changes by the minute. At first, I thought that this was pretty cool, but quickly realized that my kids are never going to know the finer points of the Dewey Decimal System. TRAVESTY. I swear that our elementary school librarian, Mrs. McDaniel. . .who, incidentally had big boobs and even bigger hair, spent hours trying to teach us the ins and outs of this brilliant cataloging system. What's she doing now? I bet she has been replace by a Dell and spends her afternoons cataloging her stuffed cat collection. Poor thing. Don't worry--I'm contacting the Library of Congress tomorrow. . .I bet they're still in contact with Dewey and between the two of us, we'll get things all straightened out. Mrs. McDaniel. . . .just hold on--help is a comin.'

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Mcdaniel should be shot. She was a mean old witch who kicked our entire 5th grade class out of library for about a month. She had the worst relief society arms (I don't believe she was mormon though) that I have ever encountered in my entire life. SHE WAS JUST PLAIN WITCHY...I could replace a letter in the previous word but I'm trying to quite swearing. She doesn't DESERVE to be in the presence of that wonderful library system named Dewey!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin