Thursday, February 4, 2010

Carrots Are Good for Your Eyes

I'm a firm believer that the best foods in life are full of butter, cream, sugar, carbs, and Nutella. One of my goals it to prove myself wrong. The first step to reaching this seemingly unattainable dream is to experiment. So, earlier this week I made carrot soup. I know what you're thinking--you think that sounds nasty. It wasn't. Truthfully, it would be better with half a cube of butter, BUT it's quite lovely without it and I feel healthy eating it. I think you'll like it too. EASY and loaded with veggies.
Carrot Soup

1 1/2 lbs carrots (peeled and chopped into 1" pieces)
1/2 cup fresh ginger OR 2 T dry ginger
2 cups water
1 cup chopped celery
1 chopped onion
2 T olive oil
2 1/2 cups broth (I used 99% fat free chicken brother)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Heat the water to boiling and add all of the chopped vegetables. Cover and simmer (medium-low heat) until the carrots are tender (a fork or spoon should be able to slice through a carrot piece with minimal resistance) usually about 10 minutes. Carefully transfer the vegetables and water to a blender and blend until smooth. Return the blended mixture to the pot and add the broth and the olive oil. Simmer again, stirring until the broth and oil are completely mixed in. Continue stirring while the soup bubbles lightly for 1 minute. Add ground pepper, or other spices to taste (a bit of cinnamon is lovely).

1 comment:

Lois said...

Mm, that sounds good.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin