Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Real Estate Epiphany

On my run this morning, I noticed a few houses for sale. None of them were particularly spectacular, but I'm trying to do my part to keep a certain set of brothers from becoming homeless. . .so I pay attention to the ever-changing housing market in the Grandview area of Provo. I figure it's the least I can do.

Every morning I try to peruse the Seattle Times online and came across an article today about a new tv show called "What's with that House?" The picture above is of a home owned by L. Kelly Lyles who transformed an already quirky 1920s West Seattle house into something even zanier. And why not? There's nothing subtle about Lyles, an artist who paints portraits of hamsters and cats only to frame said portraits in fake fur. CREEPY. I wonder if she's related to my arch nemesis neighbor?

She's also a flame-haired woman who drives that wild "leopard" car about town. You've probably seen it. Old Subaru. Painted leopard spots. Feline figurines roaming the car's front, roof and dash.

And so Lyles' house is her perfect complement. Unconventional. Wild. A must-see destination for looky loos.

And that's the premise behind "What's With That House?," currently airing on HGTV, which is highlighting nine Seattle-area homes over the next several months.

My conclusion. . .I'm going to start looking at homes differently. Instead of focussing on the neighborhood, square footage, and price--I'm going to look for personality. The home should match its owner. For example--Kimmy's home will have no trees. . .fewer squirrels that way. I'm pretty sure Eric will need a drive through Burger King near Lexie's carport, and dad's dream house will probably have an automatic carwash attached to the back.

As for the new Loveless abode. . .I'm thinking a putting green in the living room, flat screen tvs in the bathrooms, and a giant replica of LaVell Edwards Stadium in the back yard. . .complete with a 24 hour Cougarette performing group and a doorbell that plays the Cougar Fight Song.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You so have to put in that fight song doorbell. Nothing in the world could be so tacky, yet draw the attention of the church folk that come and visit.

Example:
"Hey Bishop have you met the Loveless brothers yet?"

"Who?"

"Those weirdos with the fight song doorbell."

"Oh yeah. Let's keep them out of all important callings, too creepy."

Anonymous said...

You can visit Kelly's webpage at www.KellySpot.com.

Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin