Thursday, June 15, 2006

Lowe's

I've been spending a lot of time at Lowe's. I love it there. It's like a creator's dream. Aisles and aisles of tools, gadgets, bins, colors, and design elements. I'm well aware that Lowe's isn't an obvious "michelle hang-out," but today as I was dreaming of raised gardens, aluminum appliances, and free-standing sinks, I realized that there are two types of places that I feel comfortable. Of course I'm completely at ease in establishments that relate to my areas of expertise. I love small store shopping, furniture showrooms, photo labs, clothing stores of all types, car lots, scrapbooking nooks, and restaurants. I know how to behave, who to ask for suggestions, when and when not to haggle over price, and the ever-important art of schmoozing. On the complete flip side, I'm surprisingly comfortable entering a business where I know nothing. . .especially when those serving me correctly assume that I'm semi-ignorant. That's why I like to go to Lowe's. The employees there don't expect me to know what I need to repair my toilet (a task I'm becoming quite good at. . .all you really need is a paperclip and a rubberband). They either leave me to wander or politely ask if I need some assistance. . .fully aware by the glazed look on my face that I'm in desperate need of their advice. I'm pretty comfortable with auto mechanics, and I don't even mind hanging out with hard core druggies. . .don't know much about any of that stuff. . .not expected to.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin